Home Forums Official Club Day Tour Outings Wednesday 9th March day Tour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ANDREW BLACK

After a week with no snow, things look promising for this Wednesday; I just posted a new event.  Please join me for a tour on Mt Hood; I’m thinking of Bennett Pass — fat Lady Trail — Pocket Creek or PCT from Barlow Pass to  Twin Lakes.   If you have data or questions, please post here.

MARY GREEN

Is the Fat Lady Trail the loop from Bennett Pass TH down to the Meadow Creek trail?

JULIA BERGREN

Have you decided where to go? would you consider Newton Creek?

ANDREW BLACK

The loop that I had in mind is highlighted on this map:

Bennet Pass — Fat Lady Trail loop

It’s one of my favorite tours, but does require crossing the “Terrible” traverse.  I don’t think that this will be a problem this year.  Julia mentioned, though, that tree wells on the last 0.8 mile through the woods might be an issue.

Another option is Newton Creek to Gates of the Mountain, which is also a nice tour — assuming that we don’t get so much snow today that avalanches are a concern.

ANDREW BLACK

At Julia’s suggestion, we went to Newton Creek.  This was an inspired choice; the snow was perfect, and it was great to be out in the open for a while.  Here are some photos:

Newton C reek Photo Montage

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by ANDREW BLACK.
              Richard Crimi

Andrew, would you consider turning this into an article for the newsletter?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.