Home Forums Official Club Day Tour Outings Lookout! & WyEast

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago by SCOTT DIAMOND.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    SCOTT DIAMOND

Lookout
      I normally post day tours for the weekend but right now we have a wonderful combination of blue skies, warm days, and good snow. So I’m striking while the waxing iron is hot and proposing my “Lookout!” Tour for this Tuesday. This is an advanced tour (12 or 16 miles) up to Lookout mountain. For more details signup or email me and I’ll send an info packet.

WyEast
      I thought I’d also post about today’s WyEast tour.

I guess I’ve lost my position as day tour salesperson as only Larry Lemanczyk joined me. But what we lost in quantity we made up for in quality. It was a spectacular tour today.

We were uncertain of snow conditions on crosstown trail so clipped Klindt Vielbig’s route a little short by starting at Govy instead of ski bowl. We got off before 9AM and it was a little hard/icy at the start (what resorts refer to as “packed powder”) but we did make good time on Westleg and Eastleg to the intersection with Yellow Jacket trail. I have a love/hate relationship with the Yellow Jacket. I don’t think that trail has ever heard of kick and glide but I will admit it is stunningly beautiful and today was no exception. I love the lunch spot once you finally cross the Salmon.

From there, there were more obstacles, and a few nice descents in soft snow. We finally made it to White River and, at that point the technical challenges were over as we followed a forest service road to Bennett pass. From Bennett we snuck onto Meadows nicely groomed tracks (shhh) and made our way to Teacup. I thought the section from Teacup to Pocket creek would be a cake walk but that bridge on the tie trail is definitely, completely, 100% out now. The bridge was too dangerous to cross and we had to hop across the creek bed.

We had pretty good snow all day. We finished about 4PM, it was nice to sit in the car and my latte on the drive home was exceptional. A few shots are posted at the ONC group Facebook page.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.