Good Skiing on Leif Erikson Jan 14 & 15

Home Forums Trail Conditions Good Skiing on Leif Erikson Jan 14 & 15

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

George Ammerman
    Participant

I took the street car up to NW 23rd Street, and hiked up to the bridge on NW Thurman.  From the bridge, I skied up the left side walk for the last half mile or so the the trail head.  Only one homeowner had shoveled the sidewalk so I only had to take my skis off once.

My narrow skis with pink kick wax and yellow glide wax worked great.  A friend skiing on waxless back country skis did not have much glide on the downhills.  Ski tracks are well established.  I saw more runners than skiers, but the walkers and runners generally stay off the ski tracks.

Today (Sunday) I skied to Saltzman Road and back.  The big snow covered trees are beautiful.   Visibility was great, I could see Mt Rainier out just to the left of Mt St Helens.

Anonymous

We thought about skiing Leif Erikson today, but opted instead to go for more sunshine: We skied along the bike path that runs west along the Columbia Slough from Portland Meadows Race track, past the PIR raceway, past the golf course (which several people were skiing on) and ultimately to Smith and Bybee Lakes before we turned around. We could have skied all the way to Kelly Point! We saw four bald eagles along the way and great views of St Helens, Mt Adams, and of course Mt Hood, all without battling traffic for three hours to get there. We only saw six other skiers and a couple of joggers. It felt like a once-in-a lifetime ski trip. I highly recommend anyone do it before the rain begins!

From: George Ammerman [mailto:reply@notifications.onc-pdx.org]
    Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:31 PM
    To: Marilyn.happold@gmail.com
    Subject: New Forum Post: Good Skiing on Leif Erikson Jan 14 & 15

George Ammerman posted on January 15,2017 at 4:29 pm :

I took the street car up to NW 23rd Street, and hiked up to the bridge on NW Thurman. From the bridge, I skied up the left side walk for the last half mile or so the the trail head. Only one homeowner had shoveled the sidewalk so I only had to take my skis off once.

My narrow skis with pink kick wax and yellow glide wax worked great. A friend skiing on waxless back country skis did not have much glide on the downhills. Ski tracks are well established. I saw more runners than skiers, but the walkers and runners generally stay off the ski tracks.

Today (Sunday) I skied to Saltzman Road and back. The big snow covered trees are beautiful. Visibility was great, I could see Mt Rainier out just to the left of Mt St Helens.

Post Link: https://onc-pdx.org/forums/topic/good-skiing-on-leif-erikson-jan-14-15/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.